GI Bill

What is a GI BILL

GI Bill benefits help you pay for college, graduate school, and training programs. Since 1944, the GI Bill has helped qualifying Veterans and their family members (you) get money to cover all or some of the costs for school or training. 

Review your GI Bill Statement of Benefits.

The GI Bill Comparison Tool and Veterans Service Organizations can help you explore options and find out what benefits you can get. Find a Veterans service organization.

Source: US Department of Veteran Affairs

1. Apply to a school. Applying for your GI Bill benefits is an easy, straightforward process. Here we’ll give you the necessary steps to apply for the GI Bill and get you moving toward your degree or job training.

2. Apply with the VA. Apply to a school that is approved for VA benefits. Find schools, employers, and testing organizations with the VA School Comparison Tool. Apply for the GI Bill with the VA.

For active duty, you may need approval from your chain-of-command or Education Service Officer (ESO) when applying for the GI Bill. For veterans, you may be required to provide a copy of your DD 214 Discharge Paperwork.

3. Certificate of Eligibility. If the VA determines you are eligible for the GI Bill, they will send your “Certificate of Eligibility”. This certificate should be taken to your school, which will enroll you and send your enrollment information to the VA. You can find your Certificate of Eligibility on the eBenefits website or mail it directly to you.

4. Attend Classes. Start attending classes and use your GI Bill benefits.



The Post-9/11 GI Bill allows you to transfer all or some of your unused benefits to your spouse or dependent children. The military determines whether or not you can transfer benefits to your family. Once your service approves your eligibility to transfer your benefits, your dependents can apply for them through the VA.

Who Can Transfer Their GI Bill Benefits?

Any active military member who is eligible for the Post-9/11 GI Bill who has less than 16 years of service, and:

You MUST transfer benefits while on active duty.

Who Can Receive Transferred GI Bill Benefits?

If you are eligible to transfer benefits, you can transfer them to:

The family member must be enrolled in the Defense Eligibility Enrollment Reporting System (DEERS) at the time of transfer.

If your child gets married, it doesn't affect their eligibility for the transferred benefits.

If you get divorced, your ex-spouse can still use the transferred benefits.

You can take away or change the transferred benefits to any dependent at any time.

How to Transfer Your Post-9/11 GI Bill Benefits

You can only apply to transfer benefits while on active duty; it is too late once you leave active duty. You should apply online at the DMDC Website or follow your service's instructions.

After leaving the military, you can change the amount of the GI Bill transferred to each dependent by contacting the VA.

Details On Using Transferred GI Bill Benefits

You can transfer any remaining portion of your GI Bill entitlement. If you haven't used any, you can transfer it all.

Pro-tip: While on active duty, you should give each of your dependents at least one month of transferred GI Bill; this gets them in the system. You can always add or subtract entitlement after you get out. But, if you don't add them into the system while you are on active duty (with at least one month of entitlement), you are out of luck later; you won't be able to add them.

A spouse:

A child:



The Hazlewood Exemption provides a tuition and fee exemption to eligible Texas veterans and, in some cases, their spouses or dependents. Veterans must meet service entry or residency conditions, serve at least 181 days on active duty, and be discharged honorably or under honorable conditions. The Hazlewood Legacy Act of 2009 enables veterans to transfer up to 150 semester credit hours (SCH) to their dependents. If the dependents meet specific criteria, their tuition and fees are waived at Texas public higher education institutions (IHE). 

The Post-9/11 G.I. Bill provides education benefits to veterans with at least 90 days of active duty military service after September 10, 2001. Veterans who serve at least three years and are honorably discharged receive the full benefit. This benefit includes tuition and fees, a monthly housing allowance, a stipend for books and supplies, and other aid. Unlike the Montgomery G.I. Bill (MGIB), which provides a monthly stipend to the beneficiary, the Post-9/11 G.I. Bill pays tuition and fees to the IHE. 

Source: State vs. Federal Benefits